St. Elmo Colorado
officially founded in 1880.
Gold and Silver
Mining brought many people to the
area. There were
over 150 Patented mine claims in
the St. Elmo
reached a high of nearly 2000 people.
laid their tracks up to St. Elmo and continued
the line through
Romley then to Hancock and through the
St. Elmo was
considered a Hub town for supplies arriving
by train. The
tracks were abandoned in
1922. It is said
that St. Elmo's Population rode the last
train out of town
and never came back.
on the east side of main street was
the location of
Town Hall as well as Stark family residences.
Stark family was the last family to
leave St. Elmo
1958. The stark family owned the Home Comfort Hotel
telegraph office and Post Office.
also had a retail General Store to keep
miners with plenty of supplies. These
buildings were lost in a fire April 15, 2002.
The rebuild of Town Hall was completed through fund raisers and donations.
This is at the end of
Main Street looking North East. Home Comfort Hotel is the tall
building in the middle.
This is a 1950's picture of
the St. Elmo School House.
View of St. Elmo.
This a picture looking
over the St. Elmo Town Hall at the Home Comfort
This is a
typical winter scene looking across the Chalk Creek.
This picture of the train
near St. Elmo was the last year the rail
to St. Elmo
This is a picture taken
from the Hancock road which at the the time of
picture was part of the DSP&P rail line. The large building
on the corner
was The American House Hotel.
Railroad picture taken
near where the Cascade Hill is now.
rare picture postcard of Romley a mining town located 2
1/2 miles up the railroad grade from St.
Elmo. Romley is now gone.
More pictures to come in the
So bookmark this page!
Please click any
of these links.
Page built and owned by St. Elmo General Store Inc. Do not use without permission. 2010 Atv
Rentals jeep rentals cabin renta antiques souvenirs ghost town mining
town gold mining actic cat prowler utv saint elmo st elmo most